Essential oils are made from plants and herbs. Make sure that you use genuine essential oils for magick spells and ritual as well as for healing and medications. Often companies selling oils will use blends of various scents to create the illusion of a much more expensive true essential oil (note that this is different than magickal blends pre-made for specific magickal purposes and made from real essential oils). Companies will also use synthetic oils, made from other plants or even non-plant materials and chemicals. Many companies will fail to warn you anywhere on the label that the oil is a blend, compound, partially synthetic, or fully synthetic. be careful about what you buy.
You will want to purchase your essential oils from a company that guarantees that their oils are true essential oils (such as Mountain Rose Herbs). Or you can learn to make your own essential oils.
Using essential oils: Essential oils are just too concentrated and too expensve to use without dilution. If you purchase pure essential oil from a source such as Mountain Rose, you will want to place just a drop or two into a neutral carrier vegetable oil or jojoba. This conservation is typical of the use of essential oils in spells and other magick. It is wise to test a bit of any essential oil on your inner wrist before use. If any irritation occurs, do not use the essential oil.
diluting essential oils
Dilute your authentic essential oils in a base oil (or carrier oil). First of all, true essential oils are simply too expensive to use full strength. Also, most essential oils are too strong in their pure form. Many essential oils will irritate or burn the skin.
1. Gather together all of your supplies before blending your oils. I know, this is obvious, but youd be surprised how many times people start mixing up a formula and suddenly realize that something is missing.
2. Sterliize a glass jar of appropriate size for your magickal preparation. You will want to use the smallest glass jar that will hold the amount your are blending (extra air space inside the jar will cause the mixture to degrade faster). You can sterilize glass jars in a double-boiler. Remember to let the glass heat up and cool down slowly. Fast temperature changes can cause glass to shatter. Hot glass can also burn your fingers badly. It is best to use opaque or dark-colored bottles that can be sealed airtight.
3. Pour your base oil (also called carrier oil) into the sterilized glass jar. A typical amount is 1/8th of a cup of base oil. Any of the following listed oils will be great for a base oil for magickal uses. Jojoba is not actually an oil (it is a liquid wax), but it serves the same purpose and will last much longer than real oils because it never goes rancid (although the essential oils will eventually degrade over time). A common mistake it to make too big a batch of magickal oils. A little goes a long way and any excess will eventually go bad, wasting your expensive materials.
carrier oils for magick
See the article on carrier oils for more information and a list of additional carrier oils for use in aromatherapy.
4. Drop in the essential oils. Use an eye dropper or the single-drop dispenser that comes inside most essential oil bottles. For recipes and formulas using just one essential oil, you will tyically use five to seven drops of essential oil for every 1/8th cup of base oil. For recipes that blend essential oils, use one drop for each part listed in the recipe or formula. When blending essential oils, make sure that you do not accidently contaminate your essential oils by letting the dropper touch the base mixture or other essential oils. A common mistake it to make too big a batch of magickal oils. A little goes a long way and any excess will eventually go bad and waste your expensive materials.
5. Swirl the essential oils and base oil together. Never stir the mixture. Gently rotate the mixture in a clockwise direction until the essential oils have blended together int he base oil.
6. Seal the glass jar or bottle and store until needed. Store your oils away from heat, light, and moisture. Make usre that the glass bottle is sealed airtight. It is best to use opaque or dark-colored bottles. Make sure that you clearly label your bottles (you will forget what was in that dark green bottle you mixed up last month). Label the name and purpose of the mixture (for example, love potion of Aphrodite), a complete list of ingredients (both the base oil and all of the essential oils), and the date that you prepared the mixture. Firmly attach the label to the bottle.
using essential oils
Remember to always dilute your essential oils before using them for magickal or medicinal purposes (see instructions above).
Candle magick is the most common use for magickal oil blends. Rub your diluted mixture onto a candle of the appropriate color. You only need to use a few drops of your blend (no need to waste large amounts of expensive ingredients). Start from the center of the candle and rub to the top. Chant. Start from the center and rub to the bottom of the candle. Chant. This process is called dressing the candle. Once the candle is dressed it should be used for magick fairly quickly because the essential oils will start evaoprating right away. See also the article on candle magick
Annointing is the process of rubbing magick blends onto your body. Always dilute your essential oils because in their pure form they will tend to irritate or even burn the skin. Some essential oils are too strong to be used for annointing even when diluted. You only need to use a few drops of your blend (no need to waste large amounts of expensive ingredients).
Bath oils are magick blends that are placed in your bath water for magickal purposes. See the article on love baths for examples. You only need to use a few drops of your blend (no need to waste large amounts of expensive ingredients).
A few drops of magick oils can be placed on or rubbed into magick amulets, charms, sachets, or talismans to empower them for specific magickal purposes.
A few drops of magick oils can be rubbed into quartz crystals and other stones to empower them for magickal purposes.
Once you become skilled at the use of magick oils, use your imagination to come up with new and interesting ways to use essential oils for magick.
Self-medication should not be used as a substitute for professional medical care. Please confirm all self-medication with your doctor or health care professional.
dangerous essential oils
The following essential oils are hazardous and should not be used in aromatherapy, ingested, or come in contact with the skin. Many additional essential oils beyond those on this list are dangerous.